9rules is a place where members and readers can connect, build relationships, gain exposure, learn new things, and have fun. 9rules started in 2003 with a set of 9 rules:
- Love what you do.
- Never stop learning.
- Form works with function.
- Simple is beautiful.
- Work hard, play hard.
- You get what you pay for.
- When you talk, we listen.
- Must constantly improve.
- Respect your inspiration.
These rules are the backbone of 9rules, implemented in everything 9rules does. In 2006 we realized we had two needs to fill, those of our members and our readers. We found that our member and reader needs were very different and to make things more complex, the needs of our readers varied greatly. 9rules will continue to expand membership to include diverse topics. As 9rules grows, how can our readers filter the massive amount of content generated daily on the 9rules site? To address these concerns a drastic change was required for the 9rules site. The new site, Ali, splits 9rules in two main areas:
Our Choices: An expanded 9rules member section called 9rules Live, giving the reader more options for viewing member content. Each member also has a unique page that integrates with my.9rules allowing readers to add member sites to their favorites in my.9rules along with showing the readers who added them as a favorite.
Your Choices: my.9rules is an area where readers can create a profile and customize their profile to include the content that most interests them. They can add friends, create favorites, and distribute points for content they enjoyed. They can also add their flickr and del.ic.ious content. More options will be added to give you more control over the content on 9rules.
During the creative process we realize that although we live by the 9 rules there were traits that we try to live up to as well:
- Passionate - 9rules is passionate about helping our members and readers connect.
- Trust - We realize people trust 9rules and we take that seriously.
- Creative - We enjoy thinking of new ways to do things, or how to do old things better.
- Fun - Using the internet is an excellent way to learn but one should have fun as well. On 9rules you can do both.
- Strong - We have a strong community that we believe in.
- Pioneering - We like to be creative, push boundaries and try new things.
- Honest - We tell it like it is, and encourage others to share their thoughts. Some would call this transparency. We call it doing the right thing.
- Respected - By being honest and making the right choices we earned the respect of our peers...very humbling the loyalty our community has for 9rules.
- Focused - We have a goal, connecting writers and readers.