This 3-day workshop will focus on safety training for journalists and bloggers operating in fragile states. The training's accent will be on safe communication and publishing using new media (internet and mobile technology).
We hereby call for applications from journalists and bloggers from Gambia, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Ethiopia, Zimbabwe and Swaziland for a full scholarship to attend this workshop at Rhodes University. The application requirements are as follows:
- A 500-word statement motivating why you should be selected for the programme
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Intermediate computer skills (online search, blogging)
- Only bloggers and professional journalists with a solid publishing record need apply
- Only persons resident in the countries of Gambia, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Ethiopia, Zimbabwe and Swaziland need apply
- Proficiency in the English Language
The 15 scholarships available will cover: airfare; accommodation; daily subsistence allowance; and visa reimbursement. The scholarships will NOT cover any other costs outside of these items.
Please send your e-mail applications by 6 March 2009 to:
Cecil Mutambanengwe, Project Administrator
PLEASE NOTE THAT NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER 6 MARCH 2009 AND THE ABOVE CONDITIONS WILL NOT BE VARIED.
THIS PROJECT IS KINDLY SUPPORTED BY FREE VOICE (www.freevoice.nl). FREE VOICE IS A DUTCH MEDIA ORGANISATION THAT STRIVES FOR INDEPENDENT MEDIA AND PRESS FREEDOM IN AFRICA, ASIA, LATIN AMERICA, THE MIDDLE EAST AND EASTERN EUROPE.