The Telkom – Highway Africa New Media Awards took place on Sunday 4 July, 2010 at the Opening Dinner of 2010 Highway Africa conference.
These are the 2010 winners and runner-ups:
- Winner: African Woman and Child Feature Service – www.awcfs.org (represented by Wambui Gicheru, IT Director)
Judges' Comments: The well articulated presentation of women and children's issues both in design and content, make this a sure winner. AWCFS builds capacity to report on gender issues and addresses the needs of a marginalised community. It is very extensive and covers many areas affecting women in Africa.
- Runner-up: Kalahari People's Network – www.kalaharipeoples.net (represented by Lesley Beake, Editor/Manager)
Judges' Comments: This website provides a virtual space for networking and exchange of information among contemporary Kalahari communities and individuals throughout Southern Africa. The judges said it was a useful community portal and its focus on a marginalised community makes it stand out.
Individual or Student Category
- Winner: Simon Dingle - www.zatechshow.co.za
Judges' Comments: The ZA Tech Show is a weekly technology podcast, hosted is by Simon Dingle and regular panellists. Judges said the website reflects innovations in the use of new media, combines audio and video download, as well as streaming. It builds understanding of new media development for both journalists and the audience.
- Runner-up: Remmy Nweke – www.itrealms.blogspot.com
Judges' Comments: This is a personal and extensive blog that updates on ICT developments. It integrates RSS feeds, Picassa and Twitter feeds and also regularly updated at least 50 articles a month since January 2010.
- Winner: Zoopy.com – www.zoopy.com (represented by Jason Elk, CEO, Zoopy)
Judges' Comments: Zoopy is an online and mobile social media community, where users upload, share and interact with videos, photos and audio. One judge said they were very impressed with the backend work that must take place to make all this possible. The content is also regularly updated, varied and fresh. Comments from visitors provide platform for interactivity and the views on the videos provide proof that the site is actually visited regularly.
Runner-up: Dispatch Online Blogs – http://blogs.dispatch.co.za/ (represented by Jan Hennop, Online News Editor)
Judges' Comments: This is the breaking news blog of the Daily Dispatch and all from the Eastern Cape. Judges described it as a very interesting concept backed by a well designed and presented website. One judge described a post titled "Dying to Live", as "one of the most in depth online reports I have ever come across. The level of research, use of different types of media sets a standard for other newspapers across Africa to follow".
Prices included the elegant Highway Africa Globe Trophies; $1000 for winners and $500 for runner-ups complements of OSIWA, and gadgets from Telkom.
The judges for the 2010 Telkom-Highway Africa New Media Awards were:
- Mr. Kwami Ahiabenu (Chair of the Jury) – Director, www.penplusbytes.org
- Ms. Natasha Primo – Senior Projects Coordinator, Association for Progressive Communications
- Ms. Nnenna Nwakama – Founder and CEO, NNENNA.Org.
- Mr. Fungai Tichiwangana – Founder and publisher of www.zimbojam.com
International Institute for ICT Journalism