Dates: April 20 to July 20 2012
Duration: 4 months
Penplusbytes' innovative global course in ICT Journalism provides a unique online training opportunity for journalists in the exciting area of ICT Journalism. Participants will be exposed to the wider context of ICTs assisted journalism including how these technologies are impacting on the world of journalism, how to harness the power of ICTs in producing high quality impactful stories, and how to manage change process in using innovative ICT tools. This course provides skills and knowledge within a practical interactive learning environment with the main goal of strengthening capabilities in both multimedia and online news production while increasing understanding of the rapid changing environment in newsroom operations due to opportunities and challenges Information and communication Technologies revolution brings. After successfully completing the course, each participant should be able to produce and implement a variety of creative solutions for online news operations.
Course Description and Goals
At the end of the course, the participants will learn five main sets of skills and knowledge
· You will learn how to research and publish content online
· You will learn how to leverage the power of social media in news settings
· You will learn that despite the proliferation of technology for journalism the fundamental principles of journalism still apply.
· You will learn to undertake digital story telling
The course is divided into eight modules:
1. ICT Journalism – concept, theory and definition
2. ICT tools for Journalism – online production, social media, content management system, online newsroom management and publishing platforms
3. The role of information and knowledge management in the newsroom
4. Writing for the web
5. Online Security
6. Online Research
7. Data Journalism
8. Business Models of Online Journalism
This course does not have any special prerequisites though participants will need to have basic computer skills such as sending and receiving mails, managing files and browsing the Internet. The course assumes participants are practicing journalists who have mastered journalism skills. Applicants should exhibit a passion for news, interest in the use of technology for the improvement of journalism and speak and write fluently in English.
Participants are expected to meet online via group discussion weekly, it is expected that each participant must devote at least five hours per week online.
Participants will be provided with regular resources throughout the duration of the course, these resources will mostly be available online.
Participants are expected to undertake weekly assignments, participate in online discussions, create and publish content using ICT tools and produce a final project work to be published on www.penplusbytes.org
All participants who complete the course successfully would be awarded a certificate.
· Closing date for receipt of application and statement is 29th February 2012.
· Notification of acceptance: 5th April 2012
· Course starts on April 20th 2012.
To apply, go to http://www.africanelections.org/email_form.php to fill out application form and upload documents required
1. Application form
2. Letter of Motivation (250-300) explaining how this course will contribute to your professional growth and development; how you plan to implement knowledge and skills gained from the course and strategies of sharing knowledge and skills with members of your organization.
4. Letter of consent from your editor or supervisor
For more information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit course blog: http://mediaictrain.blogspot.com
Follow us on twitter at www.twitter.com/penplusbytes
Engaging, informative, and high-quality online training course created and offered by www.penplusbytes.org
International Institute for ICT Journalism