Bringing together technology experts, stakeholders, innovators and bloggers, Tech Salon Accra drew debates on the availability, accessibility and improvement of data that enhances the Ghanaian citizen’s participation in the governance process. It is significant to note that citizens’ engagement in development issues and accountability can presently be pursued using digital technology.
With about thirty participants in attendance, the following issues were brought to the fore and elaborated upon,
1. How has technology played a role in connecting Ghanaians to their government?
2. Which technologies were effective (or not) in holding government accountable?
3. What new technologies can we use to make sure Ghana continues to be transparent?
4. Who are the innovators developing new solutions to encourage greater citizen engagement?
It was however stressed, that public or citizen open data should be produced considering the era of video communication method in the current face of Ghana’s entertainment.
The Technology Salon is an intimate, informal, and in person, discussion between information and communication technology experts and international development professionals, with a focus on both:
• technology’s impact on donor-sponsored technical assistance delivery, and
• private enterprise driven economic development, facilitated by technology.