Call for Nominations – SABC-Highway Africa New Media Awards in Association with OSIWA and MTN
The Highway Africa Conference 2009 hosted at Rhodes University, Eastern Cape South Africa is set to host the 8th edition of the SABC-Highway Africa New Media Awards. These unique and prestigious awards within the profession of journalism on the continent reward pioneering, innovative and creative use technology in doing journalism that serves Africa and its citizens. The Awards were pioneered 7 years ago to highlight the role that digital technologies play in journalism and the media.
The 13th edition of the Highway Africa Conference, September 6-8, Rhodes University, calls for the submission of nominations for the 8th SABC – Highway Africa in 3 categories:
· Individual/Student – awarded to individual persons who design or appropriate new affordable applications of communication technologies to overcome the limitations of existing infrastructure and/or capital resources.
· Not-for-Profit – awarded to users of appropriate media technology to advance and assist communities and persons limited by infrastructure and/or technological access.
· Corporate – awarded to corporate groups for creative and appropriate adaptation of technologies within the continent to complete effectively in the wider environment.
Open Society Institute of West Africa (OSIWA) ICT Journalism Awards Media Awards!
This year an exciting new partnership with the Open Society Initiative for West Africa (OSIWA – www.osiwa.org) will see 5 new categories added to the prestigious The SABC-Highway Africa Digital Journalism Awards.
The Highway Africa-OSIWA ICT Journalism Awards for project aims to:
- encourage media professionals to produce well researched and informed stories on ICT usage and policies
- encourage innovative use of new media in journalism in Africa
The 13th edition of the Highway Africa Conference, September 6-8, Rhodes University, calls for the submission of nominations for the Highway Africa-OSIWA ICT Journalism Awards, to be awarded at the 8th SABC – Highway Africa in the following 5 categories:
- Best story on ICT use in communities
- Best Woman ICT reporter
- Best story on ICT policies in West Africa
- Best story on ICT and public governance
- Best story on ICT use by media
The above awards are restricted to entries from West Africa (both Anglophone and Francophone)
Broad Criteria for entries
The judges will consider the use of new media technologies to:
· advance press freedom on the continent
· encourage social empowerment amongst marginalised communities
· highlight innovative and creative applications of global technology for the benefit of the continent's overall media development
Technical Requirements for all entries
- Digital/Online platform must be functional and updated
- Multimedia components, print, web and post
- Aesthetic appeal (creative use of limited resources)
- Stories should have been published in the period August 2008 and July 2009
- Please supply details of the media in which article will have been published
- The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entertained after the closing date and when the final announcements are made
- Highway Africa reserves the right not to award prizes in any category.
The closing date for the nominations is 21 August 2009, 16:30 Pretoria Time.
Winners will be announced at the prestigious SABC – Highway Africa Awards ceremony on the evening of Tuesday, 08 September 2009.