The 14th Highway Africa Conference 2010, hosted at Rhodes University, Eastern Cape South Africa is set to host the 10th edition of the Highway Africa New Media Awards. These unique and prestigious awards within the profession of journalism on the continent reward pioneering, innovative and creative use of technology in doing journalism that serves Africa and its citizens. The Awards were pioneered to highlight the role that digital technologies play in journalism and the media.
The conference, which takes place from 5-7 July this year, calls for the submission of nominations for the annual Highway Africa New Media Awards in 3 categories:
- Individual/Student – awarded to individual persons who design or appropriate new affordable applications of communication technologies to overcome the limitations of existing infrastructure and/or capital resources.
- Not-for-Profit – awarded to users of appropriate media technology to advance and assist communities and persons limited by infrastructure and/or technological access.
- Corporate – awarded to corporate groups for creative and appropriate adaptation of technologies within the continent to complete effectively in the wider environment.
Broad Criteria for Entries
The judges will consider the use of new media technologies to:
- Advance press freedom on the continent;
- Encourage social empowerment amongst marginalised communities;
- Highlight innovative and creative applications of global technology for the benefit of the continent's overall media development.
Technical Requirements for All Entries
- Digital/Online platform must be functional and updated
- Multimedia components, print, web and post
- Aesthetic appeal (creative use of limited resources)
- Stories should have been published in the period August 2008 and July 2009
- Please supply details of the media in which article will have been published
- The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entertained after the closing date and when the final announcements are made
- Highway Africa reserves the right not to award prizes in any category.
The closing date for the nominations is 18 June 2010, 16:30 Pretoria Time.
Winners will be announced at the prestigious Highway Africa New Media Awards ceremony on the evening of Tuesday, 6 July 2010, at the conference.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit www.highwayafrica.com for entry forms.
NOTE: Please note that entries for the awards are open from 24 May-18 June 2010.
International Institute for ICT Journalism