The Ministry of Communications in conjunction with the ICT Community organised the second national ICT Awards 2008 at the Accra International Conference Centre. It was a night of celebration, excellence and innovation. The awards ceremony was attended by 400 persons from the ICT community, business, academia and industry in the presence of dignitaries including His Excellency President John Agyekum Kuffour (represented by Hon Kan Dapaah, MP, Minister of Defence), the Hon Deputy Minister of Communications, Frederick Opare-Ansah, Hon Kojo Armah, MP and chair of the Parliamentary Select Committee and Mr. Yoofi Grant of Databank chaired the awards night programme.
In a speech read on his behalf, His Excellency The President John Agyekum Kuffour said, " I am proud of our performances in the sector as a nation and I am even proud of the excellence that some Ghanaians have exhibited in the sector". The performances of the Ghanaian hardware and software engineers have demonstrated that when it comes to the use of brainpower, the Ghanaian is a force to reckon with. Today when the names of the "Great in the Industry" the geniuses, are published a number of Ghanaian names feature".
During the programme a minute silence was held to commemorate the memories of three personalities of the ICT community who had been lost namely – Guido Sohne, software guru, Julianna Kaufmann, a Telecom expert and Fred Nutsugah Secretary to the Parliamentary Select Committee on Communications. In his speech, His Excellency President John Agyekum Kuffour said " I convery my condolences to the bereaved family, friends and compatriots of the late Guido Sohne, the distinguished software engineer who made a mark on the International Scene.
The awards, which took place on Saturday, May 17, 2008 as the world celebrates World Telecommunications and Information Society Day, rewarded individuals/companies in 13 (thirteen) catergories with the flagship award being the ICT Personality Of The Year 2007, which went to Mr. Akwasi Pianim Osei. His citation read, "Tonight we are here to acknowledge Akwasi Pianim Osei, one of the leaders in the field of ICT in Ghana. IT Consultant for the planning, procurement (involving major tenders), and implementation of real time banking packages and related services for Ghana's top financial institutions and team leader in the implementation of computerization projects and studies in various government, public, and private sector organizations over the past 20 years. Based on these many achievements by Akwasi Pianim Osei, The Ministry of Communications and the ICT community in Ghana has unanimously agreed to confer the prestigious ICT Personality Of The Year award to Akwasi Pianim Osei for his leadership in advancing ICT in Ghana.
Other award winners include
- TELECOM COMPANY OF THE YEAR - TIGO with KASAPA as first runner up and MTN as second runner up.
- TOP CAFÉ OF THE YEAR went to SMART INTERNET & MULTIMEDIA with CYBERCITY INTERNET as first runner up.
- TOP ICT TRAINNING INSTITUTION went to IPMC with NIIT as first runner up while KNUST COMPUTER SCIENCE DEPARTMENT was awarded second runner up
- INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER OF THE YEAR – the winner was BusyInternet with Zip Net and Netafrique Ltd coming as first runner up and second runner up respectively.
- TOP ICT FOR DEVELOPMENT PROJECT OF THE YEAR – the winner was Computerised School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS) with CEPS(GNET) as first runner up.
- BUSINESS PROCEESING COMPANY (BPO) OF THE YEAR – the winner was ACS-BPS
- TOP GOVERNEMENT ICT PROJECT OF THE YEAR – the winner was Office of the President, Ghana ICT Project, first runner up Computerised School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS) and the second runner up is National Fibre Optic Project.
- GUIDO SOHNE TOP SOFTWARE COMPANY OF THE YEAR – the winner was Rancard Solutions, with Somuah Info System as first runner up and B system was awarded second runner up.
- TOP HARDWARE COMPANY OF THE YEAR – went to IPMC with Masai as the first runner up
- TOP ICT START UP PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR went to Justice K.B Annan
- LIFE TIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD went to Busy Internet for their pioneering work in the provision of shared Internet Access through the
establishment of a world class cyber café which has set the highest standard for Ghana's cyber café industry and beyond
The winners of Ghana ICT awards will be entered into the African ICT Achievers awards scheduled to take place in South Africa.
The 3rd National ICT award is scheduled to take place on Saturday 16th May 2009.